Yesterday I completed my MFA oral defense presentation. I was really nervous and anticipated the difficult questions. I think my MFA committee members were generous with the questions, there were difficult and thought-provoking questions, I think somehow I may have managed to answer the questions the best that I could. I gave about a 25 minute talk in front of my exhibition display, and then back to the grad studio for a brief presentation on the projects I’ve completed during the program. Then the question period seemed to last for about 40 minutes and then I was told to leave the room as the committee discussed whether I passed or not. I’m really glad I passed! I still need to work on the MFA thesis written documentation, a draft was submitted to the committee, but there’s still a lot of work to be done.
From the help of follow UTA MFA graduates, there was the opportunity to display some of our work at the Dallas Love Field airport, as part of the Dallas Love Field Art Program. The exhibition ran from March 15-April 05, 2014. Thanks to Seth, Morgan, and other UTA MFA graduates that were there to install the work. Below are some images of the illustration series in the exhibition:
Setting up the MFA exhibition was a challenging task–designing for a dimensional environment, there were a lot of factors to consider. I wanted to create an environment that is similar to being at the Mid-Autumn Festival. I received a lot of feedback from my MFA committee and vc colleagues to think about the setup of the space. I reviewed publications and online resources. Below are a few images of the process for setting the components for the exhibition.
The past weeks have been eventful, and the upcoming MFA Thesis Exhibition has been challenging in gathering and creating all the materials I would like to include. Thinking about adding some large posters, about 20″x60″ with the Missing Mooncakes promotional items.
I had another valuable experience to present at the UT Arlington Annual Celebration of Excellence by Students (ACES). In 2012, I did a poster presentation on Creating cultural awareness in Canadian-born Chinese, and this year I had the opportunity to present for 20 minutes. Although I ran out of time at the end for questions, I felt that it was an important opportunity to discuss my current research–and talk about how Missing Mooncakes interactive eBook could be a potential tool to learn language, culture, and create a bonding experience between generational audiences.
Started out with a few draft layouts for my MFA Thesis Written publication.
Last weekend I visited my Behance member page again and found that Behance is now linked to Behance ProSite, where your projects from Behance can be linked to the ProSite web templates. I uploaded my projects on the Behance site, then edited what projects to be shown on the Behance ProSite. I found the Behance ProSite easy to use and understand, and it’s also customizable. After previewing the site, I redirected the URL to the domain name I purchased and revised a few settings. A start of my design portfolio site: gladyschow.com.
Started thinking about the layout of my MFA Thesis Exhibition. My original sketches seemed suggested that there wasn’t enough time to complete the components, so my professor suggested simplifying the layout. The purpose of my MFA thesis exhibition is to create an educational, interactive, and fun environment to promote the eBook iPad story Missing Mooncakes. Some initial sketches below:
MavsArt is an art exhibition that features work by UT Arlington students, faculty, and staff. I submitted some illustrations completed when researching Chinese symbolism and their meanings.
It was a good experience to test out some of the visual components of the Missing Mooncakes storybook app. Some thoughts of the presentation were that the presentation did not seem to invite a more interactive/immersive experience; elements seemed too spread out and the prints were pinned too high. Elements were too close to the wall. Revisions will need to be made for the MFA Thesis exhibition in terms of how close the visual elements are, color, promotional items, the intended target audience, to what scale/height should the characters go up to; and printouts can be removed. I thought it may also be neat if there was some form of pulley-system where the audience can turn a wheel to move a mooncake character up and down the lantern string–that’s probably getting too complicated and out of context, but seemed like a fun idea. Some photos of the display before the display take-down: